Thursday, September 19, 2013

2013 Crush Alert


Just received word that they (staff + Simon, this year's barrel mate) will be crushing the Primitivo at 2pm tomorrow, Friday. I'll try to contact Simon about quality control. Let me know if anyone is free to join in.

There will need to be some of Dominick's Syrah crushed as part of this blend (about 20-25%), so I'll keep on them about a more favorable schedule for that. And then there's the press in a week or so...

Coincidentally, that is the start time for the memorial service honoring Rick Urrutia, who was part of the founding wine club group. Not a big wine guy, Rick was in it in typical "I'll try anything once" mode. He was a much-loved, wonderful goofball, a Ramblin' Wreck robotics engineer and a brave and happy life traveler. I will miss him a whole lot.
In the spirit of a past memorial bottlings (2005's legendary Bud White for Kathy's Bud), I propose that we call this year's blend "Rick's Red" so that we have ample opportunity to toast him in coming years. If you did not have the pleasure of knowing Rick, the photos below give you a taste of his spirit.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home